"gpsbabel 1.3.5" for Ubuntu Hardy

2008-05-22 18:04:00 +0200

Ubuntu Hardy Heron is out but sadly it comes with a rather old version of gpsbabel: 1.3.3. To read data from my Wintec WBT-201 I need at least gpsbabel version 1.3.4. With 1.3.5 already released I wanted the latest version - of course.



Ubuntu 8.04 aka Hardy Heron (beta)

2008-04-08 23:25:00 +0200

It isn’t for long, until the new Ubuntu Linux “Hardy Heron” will be released. Time for me to have at least a short look at it and provide some screenshots. So I installed both Ubuntu and Kubuntu as virtual machines using VirtualBox. Kubuntu will come with two flavors: one with KDE3 and long term support (LTS) like the Ubuntu version and one with KDE4 and I guess without LTS. KDE4 is still missing some apps and sometimes has some minor issues with stability. Anyway, of course I chose Kubuntu with KDE4.



libmtp7 for Ubuntu Gutsy (Creative Zen & Ubuntu Gutsy)

2008-03-13 22:46:00 +0100

As already mentioned in my last post, Ubuntu Gutsy does not come with a current version of libmtp which is required if you want to get your Creative Zen running with Linux. Luckily, it’s very easy to build new packages: just download the latest source from here and follow my HOWTO on building new packages for gpsbabel - it works just the same. You’ll end up with four packages (libraries, development, documentation and tools). You’ll have to install at least libmtp6_0.2.6.1-1_<arch>.deb. Once your new package(s) is/are installed, you need to do one more thing though: when building the new package, we were updating from Ubuntus libmtp6, so the package is named “libmtp6…”, but what we actually have inside the package is libmtp7. Amarok expects /usr/lib/libmtp.so.6, but we now have /usr/lib/libmtp.so.7 (which is a symlink to libmtp.so.7.1.0). We do overcome this small issue very easily:



Creative Zen & Debian

2008-03-09 17:02:00 +0100

Since I recently became the proud owner of Creative’s Zen (8GB) mp3 player I wanted to make it work with Linux. So I prepared myself for some hours of google-ing and configuring and trying… But, I was sooo wrong! It’s (almost) as easy as plug and play! ;-) (=> Thanks to energiequant.de!)



Creative Zen (& Explorer problems...)

2008-03-02 22:28:00 +0100

My Creative Zen Xtra (30GB) is a little big so I was up for a new and smaller MP3 player. I decided to buy Creative’s Zen (8GB). It’s a quite handy device and so far it works good. First thing you should do though is updating the firmware. Download it from Creative’s Support website and execute the downloaded file (Windows only…).